KAWK - Gaming Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Microsoft Miis': New Xbox 360 Controller May Poach Nintendo's Wii Market

2 posters

Go down

'Microsoft Miis': New Xbox 360 Controller May Poach Nintendo's Wii Market Empty 'Microsoft Miis': New Xbox 360 Controller May Poach Nintendo's Wii Market

Post  Prof Murdah Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:54 pm

This news came out two days back, but nobody has brought it up so I thought I'd post it and see what you guys think.

Personally, I think this is a copycat move and it shows that Microsoft wants to still monopolize the planet. The Wii went off in its own direction, leaving Xbox and Playstation to fight amongst themselves(with PS3 obviously not putting up much of a fight).

But the novelty and variating difference and experience that the Wii created has made it a success, and Microsoft is now trying to cash in on that.

I don't think it will work as it has for the Wii. The Wii comes with the remote and the games are all programmed for use with it. Xbox does NOT come with a remote, which means you'll have to go out there and buy it(meaning most people won't even have one) and I'm not sure most developers out there are going to want to integrate the remote into their 360 games too much if they know not all of their buyers out there even have remotes.

Here's the story:

Citing anonymous sources, "MTV News reported Microsoft will soon launch a Wii controller clone for the Xbox 360. It's part of a reported strategy to cash in on Nintendo's market differentiation."

"[Microsoft] marketing just want it so they can match the Wii point for point," MTV's source said. "The biggest parts of their marketing materials outline how easy it would be for third parties to port their Wii games to the 360."

According to MTV, "the controller isn't much different in functionality or design from Nintendo's Wii remote, but comes with four face buttons, an analog stick and a microphone. There are also plans for the controller to interact with the Xbox Live Vision Camera, the source said."

"In addition to designing the interface for the controller, Rare, the Microsoft-owned studio that developed Perfect Dark Zero, has also fleshed out Microsoft's take on Nintendo's Mii avatars, the source said."

"Microsoft's Miis are designed to be associated with any game that incorporates the controller and create a standard look for the games. The avatars aren't tied to a controller when in use, as Xbox Live profiles currently are, MTV reported. Microsoft is reportedly hoping to release the controller before the end of the year, despite development delays."

Like i said, frickin copycats. I've actually seen a draw up of the remote and you can barely even tell differences between the Wii and Microsofts remote. It seems that a lawsuit would come from this. That's how similar they are. But I guess a controller is a controller.

We'll I'll have to wait and see how it pans out.
We all know the PS3's motion sensitivity was a bust(go play Lair and get back to me), now we'll see how Xbox handles(errr hem...poaches) it.

Here's a drawout of the remote for Xbox 360:
'Microsoft Miis': New Xbox 360 Controller May Poach Nintendo's Wii Market Xbox360wiimote
Prof Murdah
Prof Murdah
Prestige Level 3
Prestige Level 3

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2008-03-18

http://adamparker.bravehost.com/

Back to top Go down

'Microsoft Miis': New Xbox 360 Controller May Poach Nintendo's Wii Market Empty Re: 'Microsoft Miis': New Xbox 360 Controller May Poach Nintendo's Wii Market

Post  HANDO SS Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:27 am

Prof Murdah wrote:This news came out two days back, but nobody has brought it up so I thought I'd post it and see what you guys think.

Personally, I think this is a copycat move and it shows that Microsoft wants to still monopolize the planet. The Wii went off in its own direction, leaving Xbox and Playstation to fight amongst themselves(with PS3 obviously not putting up much of a fight).

But the novelty and variating difference and experience that the Wii created has made it a success, and Microsoft is now trying to cash in on that.

I don't think it will work as it has for the Wii. The Wii comes with the remote and the games are all programmed for use with it. Xbox does NOT come with a remote, which means you'll have to go out there and buy it(meaning most people won't even have one) and I'm not sure most developers out there are going to want to integrate the remote into their 360 games too much if they know not all of their buyers out there even have remotes.

Here's the story:

Citing anonymous sources, "MTV News reported Microsoft will soon launch a Wii controller clone for the Xbox 360. It's part of a reported strategy to cash in on Nintendo's market differentiation."

"[Microsoft] marketing just want it so they can match the Wii point for point," MTV's source said. "The biggest parts of their marketing materials outline how easy it would be for third parties to port their Wii games to the 360."

According to MTV, "the controller isn't much different in functionality or design from Nintendo's Wii remote, but comes with four face buttons, an analog stick and a microphone. There are also plans for the controller to interact with the Xbox Live Vision Camera, the source said."

"In addition to designing the interface for the controller, Rare, the Microsoft-owned studio that developed Perfect Dark Zero, has also fleshed out Microsoft's take on Nintendo's Mii avatars, the source said."

"Microsoft's Miis are designed to be associated with any game that incorporates the controller and create a standard look for the games. The avatars aren't tied to a controller when in use, as Xbox Live profiles currently are, MTV reported. Microsoft is reportedly hoping to release the controller before the end of the year, despite development delays."

Like i said, frickin copycats. I've actually seen a draw up of the remote and you can barely even tell differences between the Wii and Microsofts remote. It seems that a lawsuit would come from this. That's how similar they are. But I guess a controller is a controller.

We'll I'll have to wait and see how it pans out.
We all know the PS3's motion sensitivity was a bust(go play Lair and get back to me), now we'll see how Xbox handles(errr hem...poaches) it.

Here's a drawout of the remote for Xbox 360:
'Microsoft Miis': New Xbox 360 Controller May Poach Nintendo's Wii Market Xbox360wiimote

That Just Looks Inconvientient, lol, One Reason I Love My 360 So Much Is The Lack Of A Game-Busting, Motion-Crapture Controller. ^_^
HANDO SS
HANDO SS
Prestige Level 3
Prestige Level 3

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down